Over the past decade, the advent of technology has revolutionized the way businesses operate. Right from the way business market their products and services to the way they interact with customers, the Internet and technology has an important role to play today. Sometimes, there is a misconception that online marketing and promotion is just for big companies and well-known brands. Business owners sometimes feel that only companies with huge marketing budgets can invest in elements like website development and online marketing. Well, these misconceptions should come to an end. Today, business owners must realize that if they want to explore the potential of their business and grow, they need to utilize the online marketing medium.
No matter whether a business is big or small, new or established, local or global, it needs the Internet to reach and keep customers. This Internet age has also increased competition among businesses and the customer has become the king (or queen). Businesses know that if their customer is not satisfied, they will lose the customer to their competitors. So, businesses constantly strive to build trust and a loyal relationship with their current and prospective customers. The foundation of making a presence online and building credibility among customers is having a great website for your business.
Significance of a Website
If you are a business owner wondering whether you should invest in a website or not, it is the right time to make the decision. Here are few points to convince you why website is important:
- It offers a convenient way to showcase your products
- It helps build credibility of your business
- It offers a cost effective way of marketing your business
- It gives you a way to stay in touch with customers
- It allows you to target a wider audience base
But simply getting a website developed and leaving it alone may not fulfill your goals of maximizing the potential of a website. Websites come with their share of maintenance and updates. The website is the identity of your business in the online world. So, you need to make sure that it reflects your business values and is constantly up-to-date. Remember, giving wrong or outdated information to your customers is worse than not giving any information at all. A website should have a significant impact on your visitors so that they keep coming back. Providing the latest information on the website is one important way to do so.
Importance of Keeping Website Updated
Regular updates to the website help in improving its performance and credibility of your business. This in turn helps in increasing conversions, sales and revenue of your business. Here are few reasons to explain the importance of keeping a website updated:
- Capturing Attention – The prime objective of a website is to capture the attention of your visitors and help convert them into customers. Thus, a website acts as an advertising medium for your business. So you need to make a lasting impression on your customers when they first visit your website. But, this is applicable for returning customers too. When a customer returns to your website, they need to know what’s new on the site and find things that keep them interested. Right from adding visuals to videos, there are various ways to catch the attention of your visitor every time they come on site.
- Security – With the growing popularity of online selling and e-commerce, the risk of online frauds has also increased. Every few days, you come across incidents where an individual has fallen victim to dubious scheme of online scammers and lost their money. Similarly, even websites face the risk of getting hacked and losing sensitive information. Businesses need to update the internal security of your website regularly. It is easy to use websites for spamming so keep a check on the code of your website.
- Search Engine Optimization – From an SEO point of view also, it is important to regularly update your website. From addition of content to visuals, your website needs to provide fresh content to search engines. Also, your website needs to be updated accordingly to the changing algorithm of search engines. It has been seen that sites that provide value adding quality content to their visitors rank well in search results. So, you should keep the content on your site updated for better ranking in search results. It will help draw attention of the users as well as search engine bots.
- Impression – No matter how big or small your business is, the impression made on the customer is really important. Now-a-days whenever an individual or company hears about a business, the first thing they do is check the business online. If your business has an outdated website, with last update made few years ago, it won’t make a good impression on your visitors. In fact, the prospective customers will prefer a competitor who has a well-functioning and updated website instead of coming to your business.
- Accuracy – Over the years, businesses tend to shift their offices, open new branches, and change their phone numbers. This information should be immediately added or updated on the website too. Giving the wrong address and contact details on your website is a grave mistake. Not updating your contact information indicates that you are not oriented towards your customers. You could be missing out on some significant business and customers.
- Trends – There has been a significant change in web design trends over the years. From menu-based static websites to responsive websites, the design has changed as per user behavior. With more and more people using smartphones, it has become important for businesses to become mobile-friendly too. If your website is not responsive, don’t expect the visitor to waste time trying to access your site on mobile. They will prefer going to an attractive, easy to use mobile friendly website. You need to update your website to match the latest customer behavior and search trends.
When you build a website, you invest time and money into it. So, you surely would want your website to provide returns. So no matter how busy you are with running your business, make sure that your website is accurate and updated regularly.
If you need assistance in creating or updating your business’s website or would like more information on how to generate more customers through online marketing, be sure to contact j4o Consulting at (817) 203-4442 or http://www.j4oConsulting.com.